Globe and Mail, August 29, 2018
Leslie McBain, whose son, Jordan Miller, died of an opioid overdose in Victoria in 2014, welcomed the government’s announcement. Her son became dependent on oxycodone after he was prescribed it for a workplace injury when he was 23. Mr. Miller went to detox, but relapsed and fatally overdosed a few months later. He was 25.
“The lawsuit may never come to fruition in terms of the government winning and getting a lot of money to mitigate the costs of the crisis for British Columbians,” Ms. McBain said. However, she added, “The point really is to show Canadians that we do hold [opioid manufacturers] accountable for deaths.”