Victoria Times Colonist, April 20, 2017
The night before Richard (Ricky) Scott died from an overdose, he was lying on the floor next to his seven-year-old daughter, watching cartoons on television at a Saanich home. It was March 4. “They fell asleep. His ex was on the couch,” said Scott’s mother, Tracy Morettin. “Around 6:30, 7 in the morning, his daughter got up and felt her dad was cold. She put a blanket on him, got a bowl of cereal. When he wouldn’t wake up, she told her mother.” He was dead.
Morettin said her son died from a suspected overdose of fentanyl-laced cocaine that was likely smoked. “Ricky was not an injection drug user,” she said. “He was a great dad and a person who didn’t deserve this.”