Sherry Vaile Robinson, Kamloops, BC

Sherry Robinson lost her younger son, Tyler Aaron Robinson when he was 23 years old on January 27, 2016 due to a Heroin laced with Fentanyl overdose. Tyler had been struggling to fulfil his probation orders due to a shoplifting charge from earlier that year. He was finally given the ultimatum to either attend a Recovery/Treatment Centre or return to Jail. He made it to a Recovery Centre on the last day of the deadline. Despite his wish to stay there for 5 months, he unfortunately, left the Abstinence–based Recovery Centre after only a two-week stay. Tyler fatally overdosed in a friend’s hotel room. 

From a young age Tyler was a compassionate person always concerned for the social justice and equity of people. Tyler won a small scholarship when he was 7 yrs old after writing of his dream to be a Brain Surgeon. He wrote that he wanted to figure out what made good people do bad thing and he was practicing on toasters and TV’s.

In his final year during a short stay detoxing in jail, he confided to his mother that he wanted to return to school to become a Lawyer and Advocate. Tyler had a great mind for facts and information. He cared deeply for the marginalized people that he met on the streets.

He did enter Detox for a couple of short stays before he was 20 years old and even in later years tried Methadone and Suboxone treatments. Unfortunately due to a lack of emotional and mental stability, Tyler was unable to stay at home and often drifted couch surfing and homeless even living under a city bridge for a spell. Tyler wanted a place to call his own. He wanted to complete his education. Unable to focus and work, Tyler survived on a small Disability income.

Sherry Robinson is a parent who has experienced several years of confused and frustrating experiences navigating various services and supports in Kamloops, British Columbia from the time her son was an early adolescence struggling in school, to being on the streets and couch surfing, to transitioning into adulthood with the pervasive struggle of Mental Health and Substance Use over 8 years. Sherry continues to be an active Advocate for Overdose Awareness and to improve Recovery Services.

Son Tyler Aaron Robinson, April 03, 1992 - January 27, 2016, died in Kamloops, BC from an overdose of Heroin tainted with Fentanyl.

Sherry Vaile Robinson

Sherry Vaile Robinson

Tyler Aaron Robinson

Tyler Aaron Robinson

Sherry Vaile Robinson

Sherry Vaile Robinson