Sandra Tully, Kamloops, BC
Fentanyl overdose death triggers a mother's plea for action
'WHY ARE WE NOT DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS? THIS IS KILLING OUR KIDS,' SAID SANDRA TULLY
CBC News, February 11, 2016
"Her son had admitted that he was addicted to OxyContin and detoxed at home several times, Tully said, before he accidentally took a fatal dose of a pill — laced with a fatal amount of fentanyl — on Jan. 20, 2016.
B.C. has seen a a ten-fold spike in fentanyl-related overdoses since 2012, with approximately 139 people dying from overdose in 2015 alone.
"If this is so prevalent why are we not doing something about this?" said Tully.
"This is killing our kids. We need to be out there talking about it. I think there is some shame attached to it." That shame is helping kill children, said Tully who refused to hide how and why her son died."