Jennifer Howard, Victoria, BC
Robby was the only child of Jennifer and was the light of her life. He died on May 21, 2016 from an accidental drug overdose containing fentanyl at the age of 24. Robby was a loving son and a loyal friend to many. Robbie had a great sense of humour and a contagious laugh. In his youth he was active in lacrosse, soccer, baseball and he loved drumming. He was passionate about all things furry and four legged, and the loves of his life were his two Pitbulls, King and Prada. Robby, throughout his young life was always in a hurry to grow up. This lead him down into a world of drugs that from which he had difficulty extricating himself. Robby sadly struggled with heroin addiction prior to his death. Robby’s sudden death was tragic to all who knew him; losing your only child hits at the very core of your being; it being caused by an overdose brings grief with many more layers. There is no chance to say goodbye and there are a lot of “what ifs”. Jennifer doesn’t want Robby’s death to be in vain. She is committed to removing the stigma attached to addiction, to advocating for change and the development of vital supports to those facing the challenge of this addiction. Putting needed supports in place such as Safe Consumption Sites, education on addiction and drug safety, ensuring easy access to naloxone, can all help prevent another family receiving the heartbreaking call that their loved one is gone. Robby’s love for his Mom, family and friends will be forever remembered. The dog walks with his Mom, quiet conversations of past hurts and pain and moments of pure joy and laughter will always be greatly missed.
In his honour, it is hoped that change will occur and will save families from losing loved ones to drugs.
Son Robert Cunningham, age 24, died from an Fentanyl overdose on May 21, 2016.